Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Web 2.0 and its role in 21st Century teaching and learning

Our students are surrounded by so much technology that they use daily. I have learned that students just don’t flock to pen and paper any more because everything they do is technologically related. Most of my students have cell phones, MP3 players and even their own computers at home. When our students are constantly using these tools, it is only right for us, as teachers to integrate these tools in the classroom. Students are more willing to complete assignments when they can show how knowledgeable they are about technology and how it works. Why not have students work collaboratively and learn as they are just becoming more comfortable with the technology in their environment.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your point of view. I have also noticed that students use technology in their lives so much more than most adults. I also believe that we should start focusing on their knowledge of technology to teach them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students are much more techno-savvy than I am. They are so in tune with technology that sometimes I fear for their people skills. I agree with you about the comments, because it is awesome to communicate with someone whose writing you have just read. My question is however, what will become of good old-fashioned people skills? A lot of my students text and IM their boyfriends and girlfriends while on a date!

    ReplyDelete